Monday, December 28, 2009

Getting closer to homecoming

I hope you all had a wonderful Christmas with family and friends. I know ours was very special, yet bittersweet with Kendra still in the hospital. On Christmas Eve, she had her second colostomy revision, and so on Christmas day she was completely sedated. The surgery went well, but she had a harder time bouncing back from this one. She was on the ventilator for three days, required a blood transfusion, and had fluid in her lungs. However, she is now on only a little bit of room air in her nasal canular and has even taken some food by bottle, though only a very little. Once she gets back on track with feeding and gaining weight, she gets to come home!! It's been a long, long road, but the end is in sight.

I'm looking forward to having my baby girl home, yet dreading it as well, because Collin has gone from fussy to fanatical. He hardly ever sleeps, even during the day now, and can be very difficult to soothe. We're hoping it's just a very temporary phase, but we dealt with this for about six months with both Evan and Ian. I can't imagine four more months of that with two babies at once. Phew. We're running on very little sleep, and we are going to need our rest to care for this clan. But sleep or no sleep, it's time for our princess to come home and soon.

We also squeezed in Ian's third birthday before my oldest sister and her husband had to return home. What a fun age! He really tore into his presents, and he insisted upon a yellow cake with yellow frosting, so we ended up making him a big smiley face cake. He loved it! He's been busy trying to keep up with the "big boys" lately, and getting bigger all the time.

Well, from our family to yours - Merry Christmas and Happy New Year!


2 comments:

  1. You all look fantastic! I am sorry for the major lack of sleep, screaming.... it's so hard when you know there's nothing you can do. So glad to hear Kendra is still on track to come home soon.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great picture! Im hoping the sleeping thing works out soon! I am a bit nervous of what those nights are like- I have almost forgotten since A. is 3.5. Andy teases that I remember those first months worse than they were- and I think its probably better that way to prepare myself! Looking forward to your K. coming home soon!

    ReplyDelete