Here's another first for us... I'm blogging from a hospital bed. The wonders of modern technology, folks. So why, you ask, am I blogging from a hospital bed? Well, for starters, I guess I must already be becoming a blogging addict. But the bigger and more important reason you're looking for is that I have been admitted to SHMC due to early signs of labor. I began having pain and contractions late yesterday afternoon. They became quite frequent by evening, then tapered off, so I postponed contacting my doctor.
However, today after lunch they started up again. They asked me to come in for monitoring and evaluation, and the tests showed I have an "irritable uterus," meaning I am having very frequent contractions, though they do not seem to be worsening in severity. They also ran a test which indicated that I am likely to go into labor in the next two weeks, barring intervention. Well then, intervention it is!! I am still only 28 weeks and nowhere near ready for these two to arrive, and naturally the OB here concurred.
They have admitted me for at least the next 48 hours while they administer magnesium (meant to relax the uterus and thereby slow/stop the contractions) and steroids to speed lung development for the babies in case we end up with early labor and delivery after all. Meanwhile, we are praying that will not be the case. We don't want this to end up being a literal "labor" day weekend.
I have been on a liquids-only diet all day, but just got word I can have Cheerios!!! Yay!! Never thought that would sound so good. It's no Arby's sandwich (which is what I'm craving thanks to non-stop ads on the tv all day), but it requires more than a straw to consume it, so I'm thrilled!!
Anyhow, I'll compulsively blog to ya'll when I know more later tomorrow, most likely, so until then, I'm signing off from my antepartum prison ward.
Friday, September 4, 2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

I will be praying for those precious little ones and for you and your family as well.
ReplyDeleteHi Liz,
ReplyDeleteIt seems that 28 weeks it the "magic" or not so magic number for many twin mommies where "something" seems to happen. A lot of twin moms in our group were just perfectly fine until 28 weeks and then all of a sudden had an episode like yours or otherwise. I didn't have my "episode" until 31 weeks, when the twins were delivered. I waited TOO long to get to the hospital though and my labor was already too advanced to stop. I wanted to encourage you that even if this WAS a true "labor" day weekend that God can still take care of your little ones on the outside too. Our guys were in the hospital for 20 days and they are super happy and healthy with no problems now. It is not ideal of course and it certainly wasn't what I had expected, but it was the plan for us. I will pray though that you are able to hold them in as long as possible though! Are they telling you anymore about your little girl? Any improvement? I have been praying that by God's power nutrients and things she needs will be able to get through the smaller cord in order for her to grow better. :) I know God can do it. Think of Gideon how God reduced his army size and still had the victory! She has a small cord, but can still be strong and healthy too I believe!
Blessings to you,
Heather
Im sure this is not where you would prefer to be right now, but Im glad you are in a place that has the technology to offer your babies the best. Im sure your boys will think its exciting to visit Mommy somewhere. Keep yourself busy with a good book and more blogging.
ReplyDeleteWe will pray for you guys during this transition.
Love,
Andrea