Thursday, September 10, 2009

Take heart

In a beautifully timed word from God today, I read the following verse of encouragement: "Wait for the Lord; be strong and take heart and wait for the Lord." (Psalm 27:14). Life-giving words, and as I mentioned in my last post, waiting is certainly something the Lord is teaching me. But it was the "take heart" in particular that I, well, took to heart.
I have heard the saying and the verse before, but never really thought too much about what the phrase meant, beyond something akin to "cheer up." But today I found myself reflecting on the words more - what does it really mean to "take heart?" It's a bit of a strange expression really. How does one take a heart, and why? No sooner had these questions come to mind than I felt the gentle whisper of Jesus saying, "Take Mine." At times, this is the only way we can "take heart," for "cheer up" is often insufficient to comfort the soul and dispel fears and doubts. What we need, then, is more of a heart transplant of sorts. My heart may grow weary at times - and it does. But the heart of our Savior is perfect, unfailing, and ever focused on the Father. I want that heart, no matter what each day holds. And praise God, there is no waiting list for this procedure. He waits patiently and endlessly to perform this delicate and needful act. So take heart today. Take His.

2 comments:

  1. Wow Liz. Beautiful words. This is SUCH an encouragement to me! Look at you ministering to others from your hospital bed!

    I will NEVER forget that. Ever.

    Still praying for you and those sweet little babes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. God is using you and your situation to minister to other's hearts as well. Thank you for taking the time to listen and be led by Him.

    ReplyDelete